20 December 2005

Acronyms

Dear Diary,

I heard two guys across the other side of the office mention 'CM' and thought to myself, "Why are they talking about Cervical Mucous?". I'm officially obsessed.

I hadn't realised just how many acronyms there are in the trying-to-get-pregnant culture until I started thinking about it. But it's almost as bad as IT. Worse. IT acronyms are, at worst, geeky. These acronyms can be downright weird and gross.

Here are some of my favourites:

AF: Aunt Flo. Also known as 'my period'. Characterised as an annoying old interfering biddy who's always turning up right when you don't want to see her.

BFN: Big Fat Negative (home pregnancy test result)

BFP: Big Fat Positive (see above)

EWCM: Egg-white cervical mucous. It feels like you're entering the twilight zone, the first time you unravel the acronyms and work out that a forum full of women are happily discussing the consistency and colour of the mucous in their privatest of private parts.

TTC: Trying To Conceive. Well, that's pretty straightforward.

TWW: Now this is the one that had me confused for months before I got up the courage to ask. Two Week Wait... the time between ovulation and when a woman's period is due, when she turns into a brooding, obsessive weirdo who spends much of her time in the bathroom peeing on little sticks and wailing.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Author's Comment

I decided to do an 'acronyms' post for a couple of reasons.

First, because the sponsored google thingy keeps bringing up pregnancy ads, and I want it and search engines to realise that this is NOT a pregnancy blog.

Second, because those rotten acronyms have really tripped me up at times. That hearing 'CM' from across the other side of the office thing... that's actually happened to me. Luckily I didn't ask any questions before I realised that 'CM' can mean other, more IT-related terms.

Third, because I think they're a great breeding-ground for funny stories... :-)

IdentityMIA said...

Those darn IT people! They should know better.

I'm going to giggle every time I hear someone say these now, even if they're not meaning these definitions. Then get even more weird looks from people.